On the 8th of May 2009 Geodata celebrated its 25th anniversary with “A day at Court” at the royal palace of Venaria Reale. The meeting of the executive board of the Italian Society for Tunneling (SIG, with eng. Piergiorgio Grasso as vice-president and eng. Cesare Salvadori as counsellor) had place in the morning, while several guests were visiting the exhibition “Egitto Tesori Sommersi” prepared in the stables of the palace.
After a quick interlude on the terrace of the Restaurant Dolce Stil Novo, in the afternoon took place a debate, centred on the theme “The beauty of engineering”, conducted by journalist Ilaria D’Amico.
Besides Geodata president, Eng. Piergiorgio Grasso, the debate was attended by
- Turin Mayor Sergio Chiamparino,
- Senator Giuseppe Menardi,
- Prof. Lanfranco Senn (President of the Milan underground train),
- Architect Mario Virano (Turin-Lyon Extraordinary Commissioner),
- Prof. Adolfo Colombo (SIG President),
- Prof. Sebastiano Pelizza (Turin Polytechnic),
- Prof. Fabio Casiroli (Milan Polytechnic),
- Architect Giulio Fioravanti (L’Aquila University) and
- Mrs. Gu Xin, Director of Urban Planning, Shenzhen (China).
The debate was followed and appreciated fully by its numerous international guests.
Later in the afternoon it was possible to visit the wonderful rooms of the royal Palace, and then enjoy an appetizer in the royal gardens.
In the evening, a Gala Dinner was served inside the splendid Diana’s gallery.
The sweet melodies of a harp and a cello accompanied the dinner of GEODATA’s personnel and guests. The evening ended beautifully, with a light-and-water show from the Fontana del Cervo (Buck’s Fountain).